SteelersPro Bowl center Jeff Saturday wants to be a Steeler? After the Super Bowl, Saturday told Pittsburgh-based agent, Ralph Cindrich, that if he could get something done to get him to Pittsburgh, it would be "beautiful". However, this statement should have an asterisk next to it because the Steelers are never big players in free agency. That being said, I think that Saturday could be a good fit for the Steelers. Although he will be 34 in June, he could provide some much needed help on the offensive line. Saturday has also said that he would not mind moving to guard, the position he came into the league playing. I know this might be a reach, but hear me out before passing judgement. Of course, this all depends on how much money he wants. The Steelers could play him at left guard, a position played last year by (now free agent) Chris Kemoeatu, who I don't think they will be able to sign back to the team. With Saturday at left guard, the Steelers could solidify the left side of the line. I'm not a big Max Starks guy, but he's probably better at left tackle than any rookie the Steelers may draft. Plus, Starks has experience at that position. Justin Hartwig would start at center with Kendall Simmons or Darnell Stapleton at right guard and Willie Colon at right tackle. I would rather Colon start at right guard, as I believe he is better suited to play inside, but that would constitute the Steelers bringing in someone to play right tackle through free agency or the draft. Now, that line looks like an upgrade from last year. Another benefit of the Steelers bringing in Saturday, is that it gives them the freedom to draft a lineman and develop him, and I'm sure Saturday could show the younger guys a thing or two. This guy has great value...even if he's 34. With all the offensive linemen the Steelers have hitting the market, they should at least give him a look.
Pirates
The Pirates opened up their Spring Training exhibition season with an 8-2 win against the Phillies. I know it's only Spring Training and the game was meaningless, but it was still a WIN.
In a previous blog, I said the Pirates needed to sign Mientkiewicz for his leadership and style of play. Well, That ship has sailed because he just signed with the Dodgers.
Pitt Basketball

Pitt lost Tuesday to UNRANKED Providence. Although the loss shouldn't hurt the Panthers too much, hopefully it serves as a wake-up call. Pitt always seems to do this. They only play to the level of their opponent. How do you go from beating a top-ranked UConn to losing to Providence? Sure the referees called the game close and Pitt got into foul trouble, but I've never been a "blame the refs for the loss" kind of guy. Pitt should have adapted and changed their style of play to accommodate for all the whistles. Pitt will face games like this in the NCAA Tournament. They better learn how to win when they can't play their normal physical style, and they better learn quickly, or they'll be bounced out of the tournament before the Sweet 16 AGAIN.




























No comments:
Post a Comment