Friday, February 20, 2009

Bag 'Em And Tag 'Em

Steelers
Yesterday was the final day to place "tag" a player. The Steelers have used a tag yet again on Max Starks. They put the franchise tag on him yesterday. This deal will pay him $8,451,000 (the average of the top NFL offensive linemen). I know that he was part of both Super Bowl XL and XLIII winning teams, but I'm not sure if I would have done this. Again, he will be paid as one of the top five NFL offensive lineman! Yes, I think he could help the team, but he's not worth that kind of money. To me, he's never been quick enough to play left tackle. Now, right tackle...maybe. I can understand the logic of having so many offensive linemen becoming free agents this year and needing to keep some of them. However, TOP FIVE MONEY?! The tag worked in their benefit last year, so I'll keep my mouth shut. Hopefully he's worth it this year too.

On a good note, Rashard Mendenhall has recovered very well from his broken shoulder. He even said he could have played the last month of the season had he not been placed on injured reserve. I can't wait to see what he can do. He didn't really get his chance last year, breaking his shoulder in week 4.


Pitt Football
Pitt has hired Frank Cignetti Jr., former Cal offensive coordinator, to replace Matt Cavanaugh as offensive coordinator. He seems to be a great hire for Wannstedt. After reading a blog written by Paul Zeise, I am becoming very excited for the future of the Pitt program. This guy is supposed to be somewhat of a quarterback guru (given the list of our quarterbacks, we'll see what he can do) and a great recruiter. Think about what has happened to the Pitt basketball program because of great recruiting. Imagine what it would be like if the same thing happened to the football program. From what I have heard and read, Pitt fans are excited about Cignetti. However, in that same blog, there is a link provided to show the other side of the story. Cal fans don't seem to be devastated that he left. I have provided the links to both blogs. Feel free to form your own opinion.

Pitt's side - http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/collegesports/archive/2009/02/19/a-job-well-done-by-dave-wannstedt.aspx

Cal's side - http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2009/02/18/pittsburgh-hires-cals-cignetti-losing-taufoou-is-a-bigger-deal/


Meanwhile, a lesser publicized story is developing in Pittsburgh. There is a rumor going around that Pitt is looking at Rod Rutherford as a defensive graduate assistant. He would replace Greg Williams, who was hired by the San Diego Chargers. Rutherford spent last season at St. Vincent as a defensive backs coach. As a Pitt fan, I liked Rutherford when he was here. He was sort of a folk hero, much like Tyler Palko would become, to Pitt fans. I look forward to hopefully welcoming him back in a future blog. Here are a few little known facts that I have recently learned about Rutherford:


  • He committed to Pitt even after Joe Paterno and Tom Bradley gave him a visit. It would come back to haunt them when Rutherford (as a redshirt freshman) scored the game-clinching touchdown against Penn State in the last game between the two schools. Pitt won 12-0.
  • He has a Super Bowl (XL) ring as a Steelers practice squad player.

Penguins
Congratulations Coach Bylsma for your first win as our coach (5-4 victory against the Montreal Canadiens)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab The Widget!

Keenan As James Harrison On SNL

Check Out Zazzle.com For My Products