Friday, April 24, 2009

Tomorrow Is The Start Of The 2009 Season

Mock Draft
Some people hate the days leading up to the draft. They hate that there are so many mock drafts. They hate all the hype surrounding it. They hate Kiper and McShay arguing about college "prospect" and how they will project in the pros, because nobody knows for sure. If you have the NFL Network, I'm sure you have seen the top 10 countdowns of the biggest draft steals, best draft classes, and biggest busts. However, I get excited for the draft. I'm a huge Steelers fan, and the draft is the start of the next season for me. This year was the first year that I have done a mock and I think that I've done pretty well with it. The thing with mock drafts is if teams trades picks or if a team takes a shot in the dark on a player, the whole thing is thrown off. Even so, here is my final mock draft:

1. Detroit: Matthew Stafford QB, Georgia
2. St. Louis: Jason Smith OT, Baylor
3. Kansas City: Aaron Curry OLB, Wake Forest
4. Seattle: Eugene Monroe OT, Virginia
5. Cleveland: Michael Crabtree WR, Texas Tech
6. Cincinnati: Andre Smith OT, Alabama
7. Oakland: Jeremy Maclin WR, Missouri
8. Jacksonville: B.J. Raji DT, BC
9. Green Bay: Brian Orakpo DE, Texas
10. San Francisco: Mark Sanchez QB, USC
11. Buffalo: Tyson Jackson DE, LSU
12. Denver: Everette Brown DE, FSU
13. Washington: Aaron Maybin DE/OLB, Penn State
14. New Orleans: Malcolm Jenkins CB/S, Ohio State
15. Houston: Vontae Davis CB, Illinois
16. San Diego: Brian Cushing OLB, USC
17. N.Y. Jets: Josh Freeman QB, Kansas State
18. Denver (from Chicago): Rey Maualuga ILB, USC
19. Tampa Bay: Peria Jerry DT, Mississippi
20. Detroit (from Dallas): Michael Oher OT, Mississippi
21. Philadelphia: Knowshon Moreno RB, Georgia
22. Minnesota: Percy Harvin WR, Florida
23. New England: Clay Matthews OLB, USC
24. Atlanta: Brandon Pettigrew TE, OKST
25. Miami: James Laurinaitis ILB, Ohio State
26. Baltimore: Darrius Heyward-Bey WR, Maryland
27. Indianapolis: Evander “Ziggy” Hood DT, Missouri
28. Buffalo (from Philadelphia): Eben Britton OT, Arizona
29. N.Y. Giants: Kenny Britt WR, Rutgers
30. Tennessee: Robert Ayers DE, Tennessee
31. Arizona: Chris Wells RB, Ohio State
32. Pittsburgh: Darius Butler CB, Connecticut

Yes, in this scenario, I can see the Steelers taking a cornerback with their first pick. I don't think one of the centers makes sense here because I get the feeling that they are high on A.Q. Shipley. Knowing that they will have at least one more round to get a shot at Shipley, they take the best player available at a position of need. Butler is a solid corner, who I think will push Townsend and Gay for playing time. He can also return kicks for the team. With the second round pick, I see the Steelers going with a defensive lineman; possibly Fili Moala or Jarron Gilbert. If Moala is there, they have to take him. If not, Gilbert is big, strong, and athletic, and a great backup plan. As I said in my previous mock draft, look for the Steelers to address depth at positions, such as wide receiver, fullback, and linebacker. Also, don't be surprised if they address quarterback. Charlie Batch can't play forever and I'm not sure that they are sold on Dennis Dixon.


Madden NFL 10
Here we go! I am an avid Madden fan and can't wait for the new game to come out. I will pre-order it so it arrives that day. I just wish Troy wasn't on the cover. I mean, I am a Larry Fitz fan, but Troy plays for us. Hopefully, the Madden curse doesn't strike. I think it's cool though that they put two Pittsburgh guys on the cover.



Penguins
I worry for the Pens. It seems that they are cooling off and the Flyers are figuring out that fighting doesn't equal winning. I predicted this would be over in five. Let's hope they can end it Saturday.


Pirates
Am I the only one who is enjoying the Pirates winning? It seems like every thinks that this streak will blow over. Ok, it probably will. But, I'll believe as long as I can that this might be the season they start to turn things around.

1 comment:

Grab The Widget!

Keenan As James Harrison On SNL

Check Out Zazzle.com For My Products